Shrimp and Grits
Submitted by CPR Family
- 1 cup Carolina Plantation Stone-Ground Grits (white or Yellow)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb. medium shrimp (about 30), peeled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce, preferably Tabasco
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
1. In a 2-qt. saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and whisk in grits.
Cook, whisking frequently, until grits are tender and creamy, 45+ minutes.
(Whisk in more water for thinner grits.)
Whisk in cheddar, parmesan, and 1 tbsp. butter and season with salt; cover and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a 12" skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
Reserve cooking fat in skillet.
3. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Over medium-high heat, add shrimp to skillet and cook,
turning once, until bright pink, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate with a slotted spoon.
Lower heat to medium; add mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5 minutes.
Add garlic and cook until golden, 1 minute.
Raise heat to high, add chicken broth, and scrape bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon.
Cook until broth reduces by half, 3 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet along with the lemon juice, remaining butter, and hot sauce and cook, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens, about 1 minute. Divide grits between 4 bowls; top each with shrimp and its sauce. Garnish each bowl with bacon, scallions, and lemon wedges.