Golden Fried Polenta
Recipe submitted by: Fred Smith
Yield: 40 - 48 pieces
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup graded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Carolina Plantation Grits (yellow or white)
- Your favorite marinara sauce
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1) In a large non-stick saucepan bring water and salt to boil.
2) Gradually whisk in grits.
3) Cover and reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or as package instructions, stirring often. Grits are done when thick and creamy and have lost their raw taste.
4) Add butter and 1/2 cup cheese and stir until melted.
5) Lightly oil 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish. Transfer hot grits to baking dish, spread evenly to 3/4 inch thick.
6) Refrigerate until cold and firm, at least two hours.
7) Heat oil about 1/4 deep in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
8) Cut cold grits into approximately 1 inch x 2 inch pieces.
9) Working in batches, fry until golden brown on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
10) Using tongs, transfer pieces to paper towels to drain.
11) Place on baking sheet and keep warm in a 250° oven while cooking the remaining batches.
12) Transfer pieces to a serving platter and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and salt to taste.
Serve with marinara sauce alongside.