Hoppin' John Cold Salad
Recipe by Lena Mae Jackson
- 2 cups of Carolina Plantation Rice
- 2 cups of Carolina Plantation Cowpeas
- 1 ½ lb of bacon (meat of choice )
- 2 medium size onions
- 3 peppers (1-green, 1-yellow, 1-red)
- 1 bundle of celery
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of Soul Food Seasoning
Cook 2 cups of rice according to directions on bag.
Cook 2 cups of cowpeas according to directions on bag.
Fry 1 ½ lb of bacon (2 cups crumbled).
In ½ cup of water ... saute 2 cups of onions, 2 cups of peppers, and 2 cups of celery until translucent ... while sauteing salt & pepper to taste, add a teaspoon of sugar and 2 teaspoons of Soul Food Seasoning.
Let all ingredients cool.
Combine rice, onions, peppers, celery, and crumbled bacon gently with a fork.
Last add cowpeas.